The Wayback Machine - https://web.archive.org/web/20081014100459/http://www.searchengineoptimising.com:80/forum/google-optimisation/171-different-ranking-when-using-capital-letters.html
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Different ranking when using capital letters
This is a discussion on Different ranking when using capital letters within the Google Optimisation forums, part of the Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) category; For one of my main keywords, when using capital letters, I rank about 6 places better than using lowercase. Anyone ...
Go Back   SEO Internet Marketing Forum > Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) > Google Optimisation
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Different ranking when using capital letters

For one of my main keywords, when using capital letters, I rank about 6 places better than using lowercase.

Anyone else seen this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Default capitals in their search

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOJohn View Post
For one of my main keywords, when using capital letters, I rank about 6 places better than using lowercase.

Anyone else seen this?

You can learn a lot from observation. I rank page 1 for "Searchterm Searchterm " but nowhere for "searchterm searchterm "
I have a <h1> tag with "Keyword Keyword"
I think this might be the problem.
Should I edit that h1 tag and uncapitalise it? People are less likely to use capitals in their search?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Wow, I'd never noticed this before. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sexyseo: I would say that it is worth changing your h1 tags and see what happens, as people are more likely to search in the lowercase.

D
Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Well, I never thought search terms are case sensitive anymore .The only one that I read was case sensitive at one point was Altavista but not google ,yahoo ,msn or other major search engines.I will have to look into this one just to be sure.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM

hey guys i tried few keywords but getting similar results with lowercase as well as uppercase.Can you suggest some keywords which can prove this?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM

More is the font or importance you give to a particular keyword more is the relevance of your website for that keyword. But still I think giving a keyword in caps will not have any affect on the rak of the website.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Ive been monitoring this across multiple seperate forums for a few days now.

This appears to be isolated to people using google from EU ip addresses, and more severe on .co.uk.

Examples if you would like to check....

widget
Widgets
WIDGETS

It also appears to be more severe the longer your search terms become, this is not just related to SERPs but to adwords results.

I don't beleive it is related to content as the none capitalised and fully capitalised versions but bring back results including urls, titles and content with the first letter of a term capitalised.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:57 AM

Small or capital keywords in your website do not help to change organic search results. They are treated “same” by search engines. It affects only when you create a PPC advertisement for Google AdWords or Yahoo Search Marketing, where keywords like “SEOservices” and “seoservices” really count. But it includes further division, if you can prioritize keywords for broad match or exact match. In exact match, you can attract those visitor who typed exactly your given keyword and vice versa.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM

I think they are treated the same.